Tractor market dips 10% for the year as monthly sales increase

The latest FTMTA Statistics Service report for November shows a steady market with a 10% lift in November, while the overall registration numbers for the year reflect a 10% decline. The data indicates a sizeable number of tractors registered on livestock farms, judging by the power bands, which showed a slight drift towards lower powered tractors in the 100hp to 120hp power category for the month, influencing the overall  market balance for the year.


The November 2022 new tractor market at 44 units was 10% higher compared with the same month in 2021. The year-to-date figures are 10% lower than the same period in 2021 with 2,111 new tractors registered in the Republic of Ireland, so far in 2022, compared with 2,345 units in 2021.

County Cork continues to deliver the highest number of new tractor registrations at 312 units for the year-to-date, while Tipperary is ranked in second place with 167 units followed by Wexford at 141 units.

The most popular power band moves to the 101 to 120hp category, which for the year-to-date now accounts for 23.64% of all new tractor registrations. Tractors in the power band lower than 100hp now account for 11.08% of all new tractor registrations. The over 200hp category now accounts for 8.95% of registrations.

The FTMTA data shows that 245 imported used tractors were first-time registered in Ireland in November 2022, 24 units less than in November 2021. There were 2,488 used tractors first registered by the end of November 2022 compared with 3,528 units for the first ten months of 2021, a more than 29% reduction.

Telescopic Loaders

The Irish market for new telescopic loaders reported a slowdown in November 2022 at 12 units. The latest FTMTA data shows new telescopic registrations reduced in November 2022 by 42% compared with November 2021, and the overall year-to-date trend shows an increase of 18% to 529 units in 2022. The two leading brands account for almost 60% of the total market. There were 61 imported used telescopic loaders registered in November 2022.

Wheeled Loaders

The Irish wheeled loader market recorded a higher number of new registrations in November 2022 at 11 units, compared with November 2021, while the year-to-date market increased by 9%. The market dominance of Chinese manufactured machines at the lower price and power end of the market for farmers remains strong for the year to date to the end of November 2022 and now accounts for 58% of the new wheeled loader registrations in Ireland. There were 6 imported used wheeled loaders registered in November 2022.

Backhoe Loaders

The Irish backhoe loader market remained at 4 new registration units in November 2022, while the year-to-date market has fallen with just 65 new units registered so far in 2022, which is a 13% reduction compared with the same ten months of 2021. There were 12 used backhoe loaders registered in November 2022 in Ireland.

The FTMTA Statistics Service Reports are compiled from monthly raw data received from the Irish Revenue Commissioners who are responsible for all first-time registrations of new and used vehicles in Ireland. 

0 replies on “Tractor market dips 10% for the year as monthly sales increase”